Saturday, December 13, 2008

Signs of His Love

"And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1 Corinthians 13:13

It was dusk and I was taking my faithful companion, Cocoa, outside. I heard a rustle in the leaves in the pasture behind our house. I had to strain to see the source because of the time of day, the dense trees, and the color of the creatures carefully watching me. It was the wag of a white tail that gave them away...then ears standing perked attuned to any signs of danger. I stood perfectly still, my eyes scanning the lot in front of me. Then I saw them all...three deer...camouflaged, as God intended...regal, yet cautious. We just stood...watching each other. And then I just had to giggle with joy as once again God tangibly showed His love for me.

You see, it's just a sweet way He has used over the years to say "out loud," "I love you." I think way back (before we knew the sign language for I love you), my Daddy had his own. He would just hold up his middle three fingers, and I knew what he meant. He loved me. Years later, God used three finches on my finch feeder (which by the way was a part of a three part bird feeder "condo", that my husband gave me...to show he loved me") to say "I love you." There have been other times...three blooms on a bush, three butterflies. I just smile...and know He loves me.

As I've been pondering the deer (and dear) sighting over the last couple of days, I'm reminded of the ultimate demonstration of His love for me...and for all of us, and it's found in John 3:16. "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him, should not perish but have everlasting life." (KJV) And as a direct result of that love...of God sending His own Son to walk this earth blamelessly and give His life (and "...the Son of Man [spent] three days in the heart of the earth...." Matthew 12:40...rose again...and ascended back to the Father) so that we, also, might live forever with Him. And then...we have completion through the Trinity by way of the "promised Holy Spirit" Ephesians 1:13, as He dwells in us...comforts us, counsels us, strengthens us...until our Heavenly eternity begins!

So..."May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all!" 2 Corinthians 13:14 Bless-ed Trinity!

Abba, Father, thank You for Your great love for us...Your compassions that never fail...Your mercies that are new every morning. Thank You for Your Word that reminds us of Your unfailing love. Thank you for those tangible ways that you speak to us...minister to us...personally to show us that love as we walk this sod, and await the day that we will see You face to face! Oh, "what a day of rejoicing that will be!! When we all see Jesus, we'll sing and shout the victory!" Amen...and I mean it. :)

2 comments:

Erin Grey said...

I just love you!

Sis

Wendy Pope said...

I posted the above comment, Sis. I don't know how Erin Grey got credit for it. (Ha Ha) I am sure that she loves you, too.