Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Best Laid Plans...

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."  Proverbs 16:9 (NIV)

The plane tickets were purchased.  The reservations at the most amazing Bed & Breakfast (Jackson Run B&B in Punxsutawney, PA) had been made...months ago.  Arrangements had been made for speaking at a local church.  A spot was reserved at the Community Center in Punxy.  Arrangements had been made for the table & chairs my Daddy & I would use to autograph books.  Beautiful posters for our booth (made by a dear friend) were packed.  Local Christian Schools had been notified of our coming...and promised chocolate groundhogs for the first customers.  Books had been shipped.

Snow boots for all of us had been bought.  Cuddleduds too.  The packing lists had all been made...clothes...layers of them, gloves, hats, extra socks were all laid out...suitcases nearly ready.  The camera had fresh batteries...and the old pictures cleared off to make room for the new.  Mama & Daddy arrived, packed and ready to head north. 

My hair was freshly cut and colored...no longer groundhog gray & brown (said with no disrespect to my fine marmot friends).  Eyebrows waxed...not that Phil would care.  We were all set.

And then it snowed.  Our flight got cancelled.  We rescheduled.  That flight was cancelled.  We booked another flight...which we ended up canceling because our sweet 10 year old got sick.  That precious little one who just a day before was giddy with excitement...and anxious to learn every imaginable piece of info about Punxy and groundhogs...burned with fever, laying listless on the bed.

It wasn't meant to be.

You know something that I love???  Having God's Word hidden in my heart so that He can remind me what's important.  The words to the verse above...Proverbs 16:9...kept playing in my head.  Yes, I had a plan...well thought out...all bases covered.  But He controls our steps.  I trust Him.  In Proverbs 3:5-6, Scripture says, "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."  I may not understand why we weren't supposed to be in Punxy...where my dear friend, Donna, had made special arrangements for Punxsutawney Phil to be at church for my storytime...but I'm not leaning on my own understanding.  I choose to acknowledge Him...and His ways, which are "higher than [my] ways." (Isaiah 55:9 NIV)

I'm trusting Him.

Lord, thank You for Your Word.  Thank You for Your plans.  Thank You for Your ways.  Help me to trust...always.  I love You.

4 comments:

Tatum said...

I'm sorry your plans hit a bump in the road.

My brother just reminded me that the bumps are just detours. Thankfully our God knows all about the bumps and detours.

Your faithfulness is evident, your demonstration of reliance of God inspiring.
Thank you my friend!

Jean said...

I used to imagine spending my first 1000 years in heaven asking God a bunch of 'why' questions about such things.

Now I realize that isn't going to happen. When I get there, when I run into His open arms none of it will matter anymore.

I hope your sweet baby is well.

Blessings,
Jean

Wendy Pope said...

So sad for you all but God...

Write2ignite said...

My sweet friend...
I'm sorry your darling 10 year old got sick and that all those well laid plans were derailed. ugh!

I hope all is better and you will be able to reschedule at some point in the very near future!