Thursday, June 30, 2011

Whose Promises Are You Believing?

"I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True....and His Name is the Word of God."  Revelation 19:11-14 (NIV)

Promises.  They are all around us.  In magazines.  On TV.  On the products we buy.

And we believe them.

I recently caught myself standing in front of the mirror on the first day after I used perfecting cream on my face.  Yes, after only one night.  One night of using a storebrand knockoff that promised to reduce all visible signs of aging, to replenish moisture and restore my skin's youth.  Did I embrace that empty vow so easily?  Did I really think that those lines between my eyebrows, wrought by years of perplexity or worry, questioning or intense listening could be erased overnight?  Or those curved lines carved by smiles or that ugly cry would simply disappear?

About a month ago I purchased a new pair of walking shoes.  Their box proclaims that because of the unique design, my legs and rear end will become toned.  A few days after buying them, I deduced that they surely wouldn't do that if I didn't put them on.  So I did.  I walked in my neighborhood.  I walked on the treadmill.  I really like them.  They're very comfy.  I feel good about walking when I'm wearing them.  But I guess I've wised up.  I'm not checking any mirrors...yet. 

So, what do you find yourself buying into?  What are you believing?

When promises come up short, rest assured that there is "One whose Name is Faithful and True."  Are we spending time reading His promises in God's Word?  Are we putting our confidence in Him?  Are we believing Him?

"And without faith it is impossible to please God...."  Hebrews 11:6 (NIV)  We must believe Him! 

The key Scripture for this post (from Revelation) promises Jesus' return.  He is the One that we need...for whatever our need is!  He is the ultimate promise keeper!  He is Faithful and True.

That prophesy in Revelation will be fulfilled.  Jesus will return!  Will He find us believing?

Lord, thank You for Your promises.  Thank You for Your Word that is readily available to us.  Thank You for Jesus, the embodiment of Your Word and Your promises to us.  Help us in our unbelief.

1 comment:

MyAwesomeOliveShoots said...

I wish I could say I have no idea what you're talking about but I have been captive to promises on tv, department stores and sales people. Usually it requires some effort or purchase on my part. The only true promise I know will never fail is the promise from the Lord. Thank you for your awesome post and btw, I think your behind looks amazing! ;)