Monday, August 8, 2011

Does God Still Speak Through Dreams?

"He answered their prayers, because they trusted in Him."  1 Chronicles 5:20b (NIV)

In those last yummy moments of sleep this morning, I had a dream.  Some of it was pretty random...being with Melea at McDonald's and her Kindergarten teacher (Melea is in the 6th grade now.) being one of the servers and making sure that she didn't get cheese on her hamburger because she knows that's the way Melea likes it.  Yeah, who knows where dreams like that come from...other than that we had Cookout burgers last night and they forgot to put the cheese on Mine and John's.  Crazy how dreams work.

The interesting part of this dream was that after the burger incident, as we were leaving McDonald's, there was this lady standing at our car.  She said that she needed a ride to Fayetteville.  I told her that I was sorry, but we were not going there.  However, she got in my car.  I prayed, "Lord, what is this lady doing in my car?  I'm not going to Fayetteville.  Please show me what to do.  Please get this woman out of my car and on her way to Fayetteville."  I drove past a couple of stores and stopped beside a hotel.  There was a group of women outside chatting beside their cars.  I asked, "Do you all know of anyone that might be going to Fayetteville?"  One lady turned around with a surprised look on her face and said, "I'm going to Fayetteville."  Happily, the two took off together.

As I rubbed the sleep from my eyes, I thought, "Wow.  That was simple.  A prayer...and an answer."

You know how usually you have dreams and you wake up and you quickly forget all about it?  Well, that didn't happen.  It wouldn't go away.  Somehow I knew that God wanted me to write it down. 

(And maybe it was just to get me back to my blog since I only wrote one post in July.  How did that happen??  Summer is supposed to be my best writing time!)

So I was thinking about how simply that prayer got answered in my dream.  Sometimes I see that in real life.  Sometimes not so much.  Sometimes it takes a lot longer.  Sometimes the answer is not so clear.  Sometimes the answer is even, "No."

But God brought to mind a couple of scriptures and a big reminder.

"Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; He is the faithful God, keeping His covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love Him and keep His commandments."  Deuteronomy 7:9

He is God.  He is faithful.  He loves us.  He sees the big picture.

The other verse is Hebrews 11:6, "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him."

My faith fails sometimes.  Oh I always believe that He exists.  And that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him. I often fail in that too...earnestly seeking Him.

But you know what?  Even when I fail, He doesn't.  Ever.

The big reminder that He gave me was to look back to the very beginning of time and see Him at work.  To remember that He was faithful to Abraham, to Noah, Moses...to a thousand generations.  Often not in their time frames...or ours.  But He is faithful.  We must have faith in that faithfulness.

Lord, thank You that even as we sleep You are in tune with the ramblings of our minds.  Thank You for reminding me of Your faithfulness.  Thank You for always hearing our prayers...and answering them in Your perfect timing and in Your way.  Help us to trust and to understand that Your ways are higher than our ways.  We love You. 

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Kristi, this is beautiful. I have had God speak to me through dreams before. It's such a sweet thing. And a gentle reminder how He never slumbers and He is always at work in our lives. Thanks for sharing.:0)

Kathy said...

Good to see you writing again! The funny part (I missed the part about the dream continuing) is that I thought this was an ACTUAL real event and I was feeling stressed that you had this stranger in your car and then I realized it wasn't real! LOL. I have an interesting dream story too...Scott woke up one night after dreaming Amity's bed was on fire. Unable to go back to sleep, he went in her room to check on her. Her electric blanket had shorted out and was arching!!! It had already turned black around the connection! And aka saved her life by going in there and unplugging it. Gives me goose bumps even now remembering it.

Amy said...

This is such an encouragement today. Sometimes I even forget to watch for God's faithfulness. There are signs of it all around us. Thanks, friend!