Thursday, March 8, 2012

What's Your Eggnog?

Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'" Matthew 4:4 NIV

Her only source of physical nourishment was Eggnog. For weeks.

My precious Grandmother left her  fragile, earthly body and gained a healthy, heavenly one yesterday. She had survived for weeks on eggnog. Her ability to swallow diminishing, it was one of the few things she could ingest. And she loved it. It made her blue eyes sparkle and gave her the sweetest toothless grin.

My Mama went to great lengths to find eggnog, as the stores no longer carry it after Christmas. What a blessing that an angel named Sheila donated cans (from her own business) that sustained my Grandmother through recent days.

Physically, that is.

Spiritually, even though her mental capacity was hampered by dementia, I know that the Lord was the source of her strength. Hymns made her smile and nod her head.

And He is mine. And my family's.

As I lay on the floor of my Grandmother's room one night, I struggled as she agonized with pain and discomfort. God brought a verse to my mind. You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You. Isaiah 26:3 ESV I turned that into my prayer...for my Grandmother, for my parents, and for myself.

The Spirit reminded me of the great hymn that says,

’Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to take Him at His Word;
Just to rest upon His promise,
And to know, “Thus saith the Lord!”

Refrain:
Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!
How I’ve proved Him o’er and o’er;
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
Oh, for grace to trust Him more!

Oh, how sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to trust His cleansing blood;
And in simple faith to plunge me
’Neath the healing, cleansing flood!

Yes, ’tis sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just from sin and self to cease;
Just from Jesus simply taking
Life and rest, and joy and peace

I’m so glad I learned to trust Thee,
Precious Jesus, Savior, Friend;
And I know that Thou art with me,
Wilt be with me to the end.

Oh yes, He was with my Grandmother to the end...and now in her new beginning as she walks the streets of gold with Him and with her loved ones that went before her.

How thankful for the blessed assurance that He gave me that night. I want to live my life with my mind fixed on Him, receiving His peace as I trust in Him. Oh for grace to trust Him more.

God gave me those words...from His Word and the good old Baptist Hymnal as my eggnog.

What's yours?

5 comments:

Cooking with Confidence said...

Kristi, what a wonderful analogy (the eggnog)--and thank you for the reminder of that beautiful hymn. God is indeed our strength and our shield. I know he is proud of you, his good and faithful servant. I love you friend!

Kristi Butler said...

Thank you, precious Emilie!! I love you dearly and miss you so much!

Susan said...

One of my favorite old hymns, and your post made me think of another: Precious Memories
Love you :)

Heather said...

Thank you, Kristi for sharing that. As I am now watching my 98 year old grandmother slip into dementia I will hold onto those words myself. I plan on singing that to my grandma next time I'm with her :)

Amy said...

What a beautiful picture of God's perfect nourishment in every season of life. I'm so sorry for the loss of your grandmother, but I'm rejoicing with you for the precious memories left behind.

Love you, friend!