Monday, April 27, 2009

Hang On...and Keep Looking Up!


"God is our refuge and our strength, an ever-present help in trouble." Psalm 46:1 (NIV)
Okay, so if you've read my past posts, you know I've often pondered buying a BB Gun to battle our backyard enemy...the squirrel...who just loves our bird food. However, today I just had to share a few words of inspiration...yes...by following the example of that bushy-tailed sunflower seed eater!
At one time or another we've received the same basic cry for help from each of our girls...and I mean "cry" in the literal sense. It may have been at exam time, near the due date for some huge report, in a relationship crisis, or some other stressor, that we hear sobs and the words, "I can't do this!"
I believe that each of us have probably uttered those exact words. I know I have...more than once...in the span of my (almost) 50 years. Our circumstances can often overwhelm and defeat us. We can be blindsided by curves that life can throw. But we must not give up! Nevah, nevah! (Winston Churchill)
We have got to hold on...even if with our very toenails! (Look back at the squirrel.) What do we hold onto? Truth! God's Word. We have got to be tenacious in seeking guidance, strength, comfort, and peace that only God can give us. He is our Rock, our Fortress, and our Deliverer! (Psalm 18:2)
No matter how heavy the burden, no matter how tough the fight, we've got to keep "looking up." (If a squirrel can do it, surely we can!) We must keep our eyes on Him...the perfecter of our faith. (Hebrews 12:2)
"And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." 2 Corinthians 9:8
Our Heavenly Father, thank You for Your presence...for Your Holy Spirit that lives in us. Lord, help us to cling to you. Help us to seek You first (Matt. 5:33) and keep pressing on...day by day...hour by hour...minute by minute... through the help of Your Word. And when we aren't inclined to look up, please be the lifter of our heads. Thank you for your great love and compassion.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And we hold on and trust, we discover the Lord will never let go. Brings to mind the 'Footsteps in the Sand' poem. But the awesome part? The Lord will always carry us, even in good times.

Tracie Miles said...

Hi Kristi! I heard about Johns wreck and just wanted to let you know that my prayers are with you! I pray that he will have a quick recovery and that God will help keep his pain level at a minimum. Please let him know I said hello and that we are thinking about him, and you! I hope that everyone else is doing well. God bless you!

Unknown said...

Hello!!! Thanks so much for the comment on my blog! (It was a while ago, but this is my belated response!:)

I'm so glad that you randomly found my blog! Your blog is very encouraging to me. Thanks for your honesty and truths you share here! :)

Sarah

Dixie Phillips said...

Kristi,
Go to my blog and you will be in for a big surprise. You have won an award. love you, Dixie

Jean said...

Still clinging.

Where are you?

Jean
http://www.jeanmatthewhall.com