Friday, December 11, 2009

Blessings of Obedience

"If you fully obey the LORD your God and carefully follow all His commands...All these blessings will come upon you and accompany you...." Deuteronomy 28:1-2

Right off the bat, I must confess that I have been disobedient...even in this post.  It was supposed to be up in November...National Adoption Month.  I have a "junky jotting journal" where I write all of the ideas and promptings that God gives me...usually in the morning...in the shower...while putting on my makeup and getting ready for work...but sometimes in the car...or at my daughter's piano or violin lessons...or wherever.  I jot those things down, knowing that I would forget them if I didn't.  I fully intend to get back to them when I'm at my computer and have the time.  Sometimes the time just isn't there...sometimes I just lack self-discipline...and sometimes I can't remember all that went along with the "jot."  Confession done.  Let's move on!

Every morning...and afternoon...and evening...and in between, my house is filled with the music of our nine year old daughter's choosing...either on the violin or piano.  (I have to marvel at this, as my nest could be empty now.  Our three biological children are grown and gone to build lives of their own, in another city, hours away.)  Sweet notes from the precious fingers of a child given the name "Beautiful Song" as an infant, by caregivers in a cold, damp orphanage in rural China.  How could they have known the gift of music that was such a part of her being...a gift that would be such a blessing to so many in a place so far away?

Her very being is a song...lived out before us...melodic notes of joy and beauty.  She is the blessing of obedience.

You see, at a time when we were past thoughts of a baby in our home...done with sleepless nights, baby food, safety hooks on our cabinets and potty training...when we were at such a comfortable place with our three daughters, all in or nearing middle school age, God impressed upon us His desire to fill that empty chair at our table.  It was a thought that could have easily been dismissed...as impractical, too difficult, or financially unreasonable.  But it was more than a passing thought.  It was a command from God...one that He made clear to us over and over again.  We chose to walk in obedience...and the blessing of that obedience is beyond measure!

What is God calling you to do?  Minister to someone?  Forgive someone?  Accept His love that knows no bounds?  Change your lifestyle?  Change your job?  Be a witness?  Write for Him?  Adopt a child that needs a home?  Obey Him...whatever He calls you to do.  He promises His blessing.

"Look at the nations and watch-and be utterly amazed.  For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told."  Habakkuk 1:5  Oh yes, do it Lord!!!

Lord, thank you for your love.  Thank you for the potential that you see in our lives..so much that "while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us" ! (Romans 5:8)  Thank you for seeing fit to use us to accomplish your purposes.  Help us, Lord, to hear Your voice...to listen...and to obey.  We look to You with excitement and expectation to see Your plans for our blessing! 

2 comments:

Jean said...

Wow! What an amazing gift. He blessed your obedience with His Song.

Jean

Anonymous said...

Obedience. What a hard thing at times...but with such beautiful consequences! :) Thank you for another beautiful post, my friend. I'm so glad to see the words flowing from your heart. Don't stop!