Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Below the Surface

“Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.”- Romans 8:35,37 (NIV)

I had a bit of a shocking surprise last weekend.  I was visiting at my parents' home...precious, sweet memories...well, all but one.  You see, at my house in the master bath we have raised sinks.  They are nice for several reasons...less bending over when washing my face or brushing my teeth.  I'm not getting lazy...just less flexible.  They provide a comfortable resting place when leaning over to look in the mirror and apply my mascara (as I battle to find the right distance to meet the needs of my near-sightedness in combination with the far-sightedness that has come with increasing age).  Okay, so I had just gotten out of the shower and started the make-up process and it happened...in a bathroom with a standard height sink.  I saw my thighs!  Yikes!  Ugh!!!  What had happened???  When did that all go south???  I couldn't believe what had been hiding below the surface of my sink.

I haven't gotten over that harsh realization.  (I guess I'd better get back on the treadmill...or walking in the neighborhood....Yes, I "fell off the wagon.")  As I mulled over this matter of relative insignificance, God whispered words that I felt worthy of sharing...whether my own frightening experience was or not.

He reminded me that we need to be aware of things that are going on "below the surface" in people's lives...of unsightly circumstances, hearts bulging in brokenness...and share His love.  It's often crystal clear that someone is bearing a burden...the cranky lady in the checkout line, the tearful Mom you saw at school today, the gruff old man at the park.  But many times a smile masks turmoil that bubbles and boils inside.  We need to be less hasty in our judgements...even the ones that believe someone "has it all together."  We need to be more compassionate.  We need to look through the eyes of our Heavenly Father who loves...lavishly...no matter what He sees on the outside or within.  We need to take time to share a smile, an encouraging word, an act of kindness.  As Matthew 25:40 tells us, "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' " (NIV)

Lord, open our eyes to see the needs around us.  Give us wisdom and discernment to assess what You would have us do to be Your arms of comfort, Your words of refreshment, Your means of tangibly meeting a need.    Help us to share Your love...to the greatest...to the least...to the happy...to the sad...to those who openly share their pain and to those who hide it below the surface.  Love through us. 

No comments: