Thursday, September 9, 2010

Temptation Resisted!

"Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation.  The spirit is willing, but the body is weak."   Mark 14:38 (NIV)

A Java Chip Frappuccino from Starbucks was calling my name.  I could almost taste the chocolate-chippy goodness...and feel the crunchy ice crystals on my tongue.  Just a few miles away a barista was at the ready to blend the delightful concoction.  My daughter was at orchestra rehearsal for over an hour.  Ah, what a perfect treat that would be while sitting in the parking lot, reading an equally delicious novel (I love great Christian fiction!), as the nice pre-autumn breeze floated through my car.  It had been hours since I had eaten lunch and my tummy was oh so rumbly.  That would tie me over until dinner.

Then I remembered hearing the ridiculous number of calories those drinks contain.  I made the decision.  I resisted.  And honestly, I must admit...I didn't really make it a matter of prayer.  My tummy still rumbled...but yes, I survived until dinner.

Frappuccinos are pretty mild when exploring the categories of temptation.  The consequences...other than unsightly bulges...are minor.  However, we are faced with multitudes of temptations in our lives daily...yes, some involve what we put into our bodies...the nutritional quality as well as the quantity of the food we eat...as well as substances that might compromise our judgement.  Other decisions before us might include what we are allowing into our minds...the TV shows we watch, the music we listen to, the things that we read.  And then there are overt actions...the words we allow to flow from our mouths...places we might go...things we might do.  These challenges are definitely worth praying over!  Yes, "our spirit is willing, but our body is [often] weak."

In 1 Corinthians 10:13, we read, "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man.  And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.  But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it."

Let's call on Him.  Let's allow Him to help us out...by giving us strength...or a way out!

We'll see what happens next time that Frappuccino craving hits!  I did some checking.  If I go with Tall, non-fat, decaf, no whip, it only hits 210 calories. Maybe I should commit it to prayer.

Lord, help us not to yield to temptations that could harm our bodies...the very temples of Your Holy Spirit...that could harm our minds...or our communion with You.  We're standing on Your promises, Lord.  Protect us, please!  We love You!  

No comments: