Friday, November 4, 2011

Still Hearing Voices

"Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body."  Proverbs 16:24 (ESV)

I'm still hearing Aibileen's words in my head.  Words she spoke to Mae Mobley over and over again.

"You is kind.  You is smart.  You is important."

Kathryn Stockett's The Help made a lasting impression on me.  Much of it is a sadness as thick as the humidity in Atlanta in July.

As I hear Aibileen's words to "Baby Girl" echoing in my head, I just wonder whose voices are  filling your thoughts today. Are they voices of love and encouragement, like Aibileen's, or voices of rejection, contempt, or condemnation like Miss Hilly's or Miss Leefolt's.

I pray that you are blessed with family and friends that breathe words of life and love and encouragement into you.  And I also pray that the primary voice you hear is that of our Heavenly Father, the One who loves us unfailingly.

Listen to His words.

"I have loved you with an everlasting love...."  Jeremiah 31:3

"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love."  John 15:9

"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends....I have called you friends....You did not choose me, but I chose you...."  John 15:13-16

He proclaims that His love is everlasting.  God's love for us equals that of His love for Jesus.  We are joint heirs with Him.  Jesus calls us "friend."  And He loved us so much that He laid down His life for us.

 No greater love.

And if we continue to search His Word, we find that in Him there is no condemnation.  We see that He experienced and understands rejection and contempt.  And that when we suffer, He is our ever present help.  He is our strength, our comforter, our defender, our strong tower, our shield, and our deliver.

Let's hear God's voice over all others.  Let's seek that voice in His Word.

And may we all be mindful of the words we speak, uttering "gracious words like a honeycomb" breathing "sweetness to the soul" and "health to the body" of those around us.

Lord, You are The Help we need.  Fill our thoughts with Your voice.  Fill our mouths with words as sweet as honey.  Protect our hearts, our souls, our minds.  Assure us with Your love today, and help us to likewise share love and encouragement with others.  We love You.

1 comment:

Susan said...

What a good Word, and one you know I needed this week!! And YOU, my sweet friend, speak His encouragement to me! I am so grateful -- my cup overflows!!
Love you :)