Monday, April 7, 2008

REWARD OFFERED...Do You Want It?

"And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him." Hebrews 11:6 NIV

Whew! That is a challenging and powerful verse!! Just read it a couple of times. There are several things to consider as you look at that verse, but I just want to concentrate on the last phrase..."that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him." The Amplified Bible says that "He is the rewarder of those who earnestly and diligently seek Him [out]. The King James Version uses the word "diligently" in the phrase. The New Living Translation says "those who sincerely seek Him."

Are you seeking Him earnestly? Diligently? Sincerely? If not, why? Is it because of a lack of time? A lack of know how? A lack of desire? A lack of discipline? Don't worry! It's not to late! Girls, there is a reward...a prize for "running this race"...and it's eternal! Let's get geared up and ready to go!

POINTERS FOR PURSUING THE PRIZE:

1.Get your Spiritual sneakers on. Do you ever think, "I just don't have the desire to study God's Word...I don't 'hunger and thirst' for it like others do."? As I heard Beth Moore say years ago, "Pray to!" Pray to hunger and thirst for His Word. God created us to know Him and love Him and fellowship with Him. This is a prayer He will gladly answer!!

2.Grab your "power" drink. I don't want to begin any day without some word from the Lord. In the past, at times, it has been simply a devotion (or 2 or 3 different devotionals...I don't want to miss something He might want to say to me for that day!) There are lots to choose from that fit your stage of life, your interests, etc. I love Beth Moore's Praying God's Word Day by Day. Oswald Chambers' My Utmost for His Highest is also great. Go to the Christian Bookstore and choose one that suits your fancy. Girls, there's no excuse for letting this one slip by. It only takes a few minutes...and it's a must!

Also, spend time in prayer...while fixing breakfast, while in the shower (God has seen you naked!), while putting on your makeup, just spend some time praising Him, thanking Him for His goodness, praying for your family, and whatever needs are on your heart. If you need help with this, "Pray to" pray more!

3.Run with Him! Get into His Word. Do a Bible study. Again, there are many types, formats, different areas of interest. If this is new for you, I highly recommend a couple that are life changing, but require only about 20-30 minutes a day. (You can do that!! If you think you can't, 'Pray to!') My first recommendation is Living Free by Beth Moore. Sooooo good! I also love Pricilla Shirer's He Speaks to Me: Preparing to Hear From God and Discerning the Voice of God. Transforming!! (Please note, some of these have companion DVD's...way expensive! If you don't have access to them through a local church, you will still benefit from the study...hugely!) I am currently working through Jennifer Rothchild's Fingerprints of God. Very good. This is only a sampling. There are so many more...and great ones that go much deeper and require longer study time.

I must confess. I find this very easy to do in the summer. I am a teacher and those more relaxed mornings allow for leisurely Bible study. During the school year, it requires a little more discipline. But, you know what? God wants that time with us so much that He will do His part to meet with us. Yes, He will wake us up! I "prayed to" and He wakes me early! Then I have to do my part and obey Him and get up! I just love giving Him the firstfruits of my day and starting the day empowered!!! He even gave me a verse to encourage me. "He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being taught." Isaiah 50:4

4.Join a team! It is always more fun to run the race with a friend! Find an "accountability partner" to join you. Go through the study together. Make a weekly lunch date or Starbucks date to discuss what God is teaching you. You'll surely be blessed!! If you like larger groups, join a Bible Study in your church or in your community. Run, Girlfriend, Run!!!!!

Lord, your Word tells us that YOU are "our very great reward"!! (Genesis 15:1) Oh, how we want you! Help us to hunger and thirst for you. Equip us and empower us for this earthly race, that we may run it in a way that draws us closer to You and brings glory to Your Name!

3 comments:

Wendy Pope said...

I am living proof this plan works. I am glad I am on your team. You taught me and I live the truth of how powerful a morning quiet time the Lord.
I love Isaiah 50:4, too. Did we share this verse with each other or is this just another thing you and I have in common?

Jeannie said...

1.Get your Spiritual sneakers on.


Oh, I love that phrase, Kristi!!
Good advice too. :)

Love you!
Jean

Gloria Minor said...

Thanks for the encouragement, I needed a good boost in the rear end. I am quite dry right now and it is because I'm not spending time in His Word.

Luv ya girl,
Gloria