Thursday, September 16, 2010

Hoodsurfing 101

"Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path."  Psalm 119:105 (NIV)

It's really quite amazing that I didn't hit the ladder/siding/machinery-laden vehicle from the rear.  My focus see-sawed between the grasshopper on the hood of my car and the truck just ahead of me.

She...or he, whichever the case may be...I'm going with she because that just feels right to me  :)...leaped onto my car at a redlight.  I watched and waited to see what she would do when the light changed.  She boldly took her stance and held on!

Now the Mama inside of me was saying, "Hey!  Do you realize that you are traveling blocks away from your family??  Will you know how to get back???  Are you sure that you really want to hang on??"

The children's book writer inside of me was thinking, "Hmmm, Gidget Grasshopper Goes to Downtown Cary...or Grasshopper In Town Square (That's supposed to make you smile...if you read children's books!  That one's already been done...just with a Cricket and it was Times Square.)...or Ginger Grasshopper's Wild Ride"...or some other fantastic grasshopper adventure story!

Then the blog author in me pondered...while driving and watching grasshopper & big truck..."What could I learn from this insect?  Did God have her plop on my hood for a purpose?  (I think He's probably too busy for that, but I'm taking the challenge anyway!)

Hence, Hoodsurfing 101. 
Lesson 1  Face Forward...aerodynamics and all that.

Lesson 2  Feet Planted Firmly...all two...or four...or six.

Lesson 3  Fear Not!...Admission:  I don't really know if grasshoppers have the capacity to fear.

So, what adventure is ahead of you??  Have you been called to be obedient in some manner?  Is there a dream in your heart that you need to pursue?  Go for it!

Warning!!!  It may feel like hoodsurfing...dangerous, frightening, and very windy!

Remember our lessons from Hoodsurfing 101 listed above?
Here's some Scriptural backing!
Lesson 1  "My eyes are ever on the LORD...."  Psalm 25:15
                 "I lift up my eyes to the hills-where does my help come from?  My help comes from
                  the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth."  Psalm 121:1-2

Lesson 2  " My feet have closely followed His steps; I have kept to His way without turning aside."
                 Job 23:11
                 "My steps have held to Your paths; my feet have not slipped."  Psalm 17:5
                 "He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; He enables me to stand on the heights."
                  Psalm 18:33
                 "The law of his God is his heart; his feet do not slip."  Psalm 37:31

Lesson 3  "For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand, and says to you,
                 do not fear; I will help you."  Isaiah 41:13
                 "The LORD Himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you or
                  forsake you.  Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."  Deuteronomy 31:8
                  "...Be strong and courageous and do the work.  Do not be afraid or discouraged,
                  for the LORD God, my God, is with you."  1 Chronicles 28:20

So, just do it!!!  Feel the wind in your antennae...I mean hair!!  And remember, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"  Romans 10:15  Share His message!  Share His love!


Disclaimers:
No insects were harmed in the writing of this blog.

Please do not try this at home.  I know of two college boys who experimented with hoodsurfing.  One landed in dire straits.

1 comment:

Janice said...

oh my goodness Kristi!! This is SO WEIRD!!!! I had this very same 'experience' and well, almost same thought process though not entirely...I Watched a grasshopper on the hood of my car just two weeks ago and also felt there were lessons the LORD was trying to teach me as I watched Him!!! I LOVED this blog & your perspective....the little guy just stayed on my hood until I got well over 50 mph...I couldn't believe it!! We'll have to compare hoodwatching stories:) May we be just as tenacious with what the LORD has in store for us on any given day WHEREEVER we find ourselves ;)! In Christ, J