Sunday, September 12, 2010

What Lies Hidden Beneath?

"All my longings lie open before You, O Lord, my sighing is not hidden from You."  Psalm 38:9 (NIV)

You should see them!  They're the perfect size...beautifully shaped...really, really smooth...and oh so shiny!  I'm like a kid at Christmas time...just loving the way they sparkle...the way they feel.  I love to inspect them...admire them...to tap them.

I've never given in to this kind of indulgence before.  I never needed to...until age...or vitamin deficiency...or whatever...made it a necessity.  Yes, I gave my hands a "face-lift" and got fake nails!!

They are so lovely.

But underneath is something not so lovely...ridges...splits...cracks...discoloration (from not using base coat under that "Mango Get 'Em" orange).  I grew tired of all the work it took to pamper them...and keep them covered up.  I was ashamed to let them be seen.

So I did it.

And as I sat there for an hour getting the new facade, I couldn't help but think of how many people are like my nails...damaged.  We all have some amount of  brokenness...hurt that hovers from our past...the ghosts of failure or times we just didn't quite measure up...disappointments in ourselves and other people...relationships that went wrong...words uttered that ripped our hearts in two.  We carry it...sometimes bravely and without much effort.  Many times stumbling, crushed under its load.

And we paint it...cover it up...so no one else can see.

But God does.

"Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight.."  Hebrews 4:13  He knows our hurts.  He knows our fears.  He knows our struggles.

"He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds."  Psalm 147:3

What a comfort are the words in Isaiah 61:1-3
"The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has annointed me to preach good news to the poor.  He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve...to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.  They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of His splendor." 

He is the source of all healing...binding up the broken places...covering them with a crown of beauty...for the display of His splendor.

Lord, thank You for taking us and making us beautiful...brand new.  Help us to allow You to work in our lives so that we may truly be "called oaks of righteousness, a planting for the display of Your splendor."  Help us to shine for You.  Cover us.  We love You.  We are in awe of Your unfailing love, Your mercy, Your grace. 

No comments: