Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Sound of Your Voice

"...Show me your face, let me hear your voice; for your voice is sweet, and your face is lovely."  Song of Solomon 2:14 (NIV)

I felt such an emptiness inside.  My heart seemed to skip a beat.  The longing to hear their voices filled my being with an almost tangible ache.  A tear found its way to my eye.  Sadness washed over me.

I miss my girls.  My three oldest daughters are grown, married, and gone from my home...and my hometown.  I talk to them most everyday...and occasionally even get to see their lovely faces via Skype.  I haven't spoken to them today...yet.  And I just miss the sound of their voices.  I'll pick up the phone and start the callling as soon as I wrap this up.  I just needed to tell you something first.

At the moment that I felt that emptiness...that heartbeat skipping...that longing, I could almost hear God whispering, "I know how you feel. I ache to hear from my children too.  Their voice is sweet...music to my ears.  I love to hear about their days.  I rejoice in the successes and happiness.  I long to comfort them in their heartaches and struggles.  I like to hear about their wants and needs...and ponder ways to meet them.  I just love being a part of their lives.  There is a void if even one day goes by and I don't hear their voice."

And it's so true.  I love my children a really lot!  But I can't even begin to comprehend the love of the Father for His children...no matter how many billions of us there are.  He loves us each as if we were the only one.  He knows the number of hairs on our heads.  He formed our very beings.  We are His treasure, and He calls us His own!  Oh, how precious to feel His love pouring over us.

He longs for the sound of your voice.  Have you talked to Him today?

Father, thank You for Your unfathomable love.  Thank You for the amazing thought that YOU long for us!  Thank You for being ever-present...ever-available...ever-listening.  Draw us, Lord...into Your presence.  We lift our voice to You.  May it be a sweet sound to Your ears.

1 comment:

Write2ignite said...

What a beautiful, lovely post! I have heard my mom say the same things about me and my sister. She tells me that one day I'll know the same feeling...and I know she's right.

And when I hear the same thing from the Lord, it hurts me when I realize how often I miss my time with him.

Thank you for the reminder!