Thursday, May 26, 2011

A Lovely Change of Plan

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."  Proverbs 16:9 (NIV)

I was halfway down the street before I realized it.

When I set out on my morning walk, it was with plans to take that extra lap...the one that goes uphill...and get it accomplished, and wrap it up with the final stretch being more level, easier part of the walk.

So I forged ahead.  At first I was wishing that I had my IPOD...to listen to some praise music (or Scotty McCreery...yes, he's made me a country fan)...or a sermon.  But that wasn't a part of the plan.  So I moved right in to some sweet prayer time.  I thanked God for many things, one being the beauty of the day...and asked Him to guide my steps through it...to show me His plans...and help me to follow them.  I was so busy talking that it caught me off guard when I was on the "home stretch" and hadn't circled back for that uphill lap.  As I made my way back up that street, I understood why.

God had answered my prayer.

The rest of my walk was in the company of one of His saints...a precious, tiny Chinese woman.  She's the grandmother of one of my (Chinese) daughter's friends.  I know that she has had some health problems...and she looks so frail.  So I slowed my pace.  We enjoyed a lovely conversation...with talk of China...her husband's ministry here...(He's retired, but working hard to further the kingdom.)...the cultural differences in ministry and in family life...our daughter's adoption...and the joy of the Lord.

The pace was slower, but that little fireball took me on three more uphill laps.  Funny, I was concerned about her, and said, "Do we need to stop now?"  She told me, "No, we go one more, then you can go home."  I loved it.

Precious.  I pray that in some way that time was a blessing to her.  I know it was to me.

Oh I want to be mindful to allow Him to determine my steps...and not be caught up in plans of my own.  When I pray for Him to guide me, I want to pray it believing that He will do it...and watch expectantly for His way to be revealed.

Proverbs 16:3 says, "Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and He will establish your plans."

LORD, help me to do just that...commit...believe...and follow.  We know that You are the One from whom all blessings flow.  Thank You for Your plans.  We know that they are to prosper us and not to harm us and to give us hope for the future.  (Jer.29:11)  Thank you, Lord.

No comments: