Tuesday, May 3, 2011

What's In A Name?...Everything!

"Jesus said to her, 'Mary."  John 20:16 (NIV)

My husband called my name from the kitchen, "Kristi." 

It almost sounded odd.  Rather than the usual "Honey" or "Baby" or "Baby Cakes" or "Sugar."  (And no, I wasn't even in trouble.)

It occurred to me that I rarely hear my first name. 

My daughters call me "Mom" or "Mommy" or "Mama."  My students and co-workers refer to me as "Mrs. Butler."  I can just hear my best buddies saying, "Hey Friend!" or "Hey Girl!"  When I phone my Mama and Daddy, they usually say, "Hey Baby."

And I like all of those names and terms of endearment.

But...one day, my name...and your name is going to be spoken by Jesus.

Can you imagine?  Just close your eyes and think about it.  Jesus.  Speaking your name.

Just the thought makes me want to fall to my knees.  Ah, to be able to cry out, as Mary did, with recognition of His voice...to see Him face to face.  Someday.

Jesus, lover of our souls, do You too long for that day when You will speak our name and reach out Your arms to welcome us into Your presence?  We long for You and delight in the reality that You love us personally...individually...unconditionally...perfectly.  We love You...Jesus.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

awesome! Thanks.