Friday, June 1, 2012

Prepared

Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. 1 Peter 3:15 (NIV)

Seven pairs of shoes (including my slippers).

For a four day trip.

That's what I loaded into my car today as I headed back home.

And will probably reload into my car on Tuesday.

I'm burning up the roads between my home and Charlotte these days. My Grandbaby needs me. smile.

So...yeah...as I was packing up, I put those seven pairs of shoes back into the shoe travel bag and uttered, "What was I thinkin'?" And then almost in the same breath, "Well, at least I was prepared." A girl just never knows what she might need...for a trip to Starbuck's with a friend...or alone to write...or for a cookout at your daughter's house...or a little shopping trip...and of course for church!

I took way more shoes and clothes than I could have possibly worn in four days. But I was prepared.

I have to admit, I take being prepared pretty seriously. I make lists...days ahead...adding to it as necessary. Yes, I like to be prepared.

Today as I repacked those seven pairs of shoes (chuckling...that's the "perfect number", right?), my mind shifted gears. I wondered, "Do I prepare this carefully for those things that really matter?"

Like starting my day with a word from the Lord? And giving my day to Him?

Preparing my mind "to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that [I] have" as the key verse states?

Do I prepare my heart for the time of worship and teaching that await me on Sunday?

Am I preparing myself spiritually, mentally, and physically for the work that God has called me to do?

Doing these things will aid me in my quest to "be an instrument for noble purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work." 2 Timothy 3:21 (NIV)

"Lord, prepare me to be a sanctuary, pure and holy, tried and true; with thanksgiving, I'll be a living sanctuary for you." (Sanctuary by John W. Thompson)

2 comments:

Susan said...

I'm preparing to speak to a ladies' group tonight, so today is one of prayer! I also need to figure out what to wear, including the right SHOES :)

Love you!!

Kristi Butler said...

My precious friend, I'm praying for you!!
Love you!