Monday, October 21, 2013

Monday Meditation~The Power of Our Words


May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in Your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. (Psalm 19:14 NIV)

The average person speaks thousands of words each day. Some sources say tens of thousands.

What power.

Power to hurt or to heal, to embitter or to encourage, to cut down or to challenge to new heights, to blast or to bless, to hinder or to help, to plant hatred or portray love.

James 3:10 says, "Our of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers [and sisters], this should not be." 

Let's make the words of David in Psalm 141:3 be the prayer of our hearts today. "Set a guard over my mouth, O LORD; keep watch over the door of my lips." May Paul's words to the church at Thessalonica inspire us to "Encourage one another and build each other up." (1 Thessalonians 5:11 NIV) Join me in striving to "Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord." (Hebrews 12:14 NIV) 

Let's give Christ the POWER over the power of our words today! 

Praying with you and for you, 

3 comments:

Ceil said...

Good Morning Kristi! I love that passage about our words being so powerful to praise him. May all I say be acceptable in his sight.

But of course, I do slip up from time to time. Life can get pretty rough, but I need to realize that God has it all in his hands. He will help, and doesn't need me getting all crazy...that doesn't reflect his life at all!

Blessings to you my friend :)
Ceil

Susan said...

Kristi -- you probably know that Psalm 141:3 is my go-to verse whenever I feel like I'm going to rant. My sister even texts me and asks me to pray it over her! I usually tack on some non-biblical stuff, like "please don't let her pull anyone's hair."

24 hours from now I'll be in your beautiful home having lunch with you. CAN'T WAIT!

Kristi Butler said...

Oh Ceil, I have to quote those words often!! So thankful for His power within us!

And Susan, Yay, Yay, Yay!!!