Friday, October 18, 2013

What Are You Thirsty For?

As the deer pants for streams of water,
so my soul pants for you, my God.
Psalm 42:1 NIV

I have to tell you. My heart quickens with a little beat of joy each morning as I get to my coffee maker. The aroma filling the room just makes me downright giddy. I choose one of my favorite mugs, pour that delightful libation, add a dab of sugar and a splish of skim milk and I'm one happy girl!

Now as I wait for it to brew...actually sometimes I can't help myself and thank the Lord for minds that invent those little stoppy things that allow impatient folks like me to interrupt the process...I switch on my local Christian radio station and get my praise on.

Which draws me to what my soul thirsts for.

My soul thirsts for God, the living God. Psalm 42:2

Whether we realize it or not, He has placed within us a thirst that only He can satisfy. It's there. Nothing else will truly quench it. I love the Psalm of David that reads:

O God, You are my God,
earnestly I seek You;
my soul thirsts for You,
in a dry and weary land
where there is no water.

I have seen You in the sanctuary
and beheld Your power and Your
glory.
Because Your love is better than life,
my lips will glorify You.
I will praise You as long as I live,
and in Your name I will lift up my
hands.
My soul will be satisfied as with the
richest of foods;
with singing lips my mouth will
praise You.
Psalm 63:1-5

Do you feel the thirst? Is there a longing within you that needs to be satisfied? Run to Him, my friend! As Jesus said, Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. Matthew 5:6.

I'm ready for that blessing!! Are you? It's right in His Word!

2 comments:

Susan said...

I'm sure you know how much I love my coffee too! And woohoo for getting your praise on! I actually listen to the same song every morning, and I stretch while the coffee brews. Yes, I'm boring and predictable :)

Hester's Heart said...

Kristi,

I love the thirst metaphor . . . it minsiters to me each time I read His Word -- there is something about such desperation to be filled by the One who truly quenches our thirst.

Bless to you,