Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Don't Wear Slippers on the Treadmill

"Stand firm...with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace." Ephesians 6:15

Yes, I did it. I got on the treadmill with my slippers on. I was on there, all hooked up with that little thingy that you clip onto your clothes so that in case you fall that other thingy on the opposite end of the cord will pull out of the machine and cut it off. I punched in my speed (I'm not sure that you can really call it speed!) and pushed the Start button. Then I realized that I hadn't changed into my walking shoes. At first, I thought, "Oh, what difference will it make?" I kept walking. So are you hearing a loud thud? Are you envisioning me face down on my treadmill...possibly cartoon style being rolled right off the end of it? If so go ahead and get a good laugh. And then, shame on you! I'm sorry to disappoint you, but after a minor slip, I decided to turn off the machine, put on my sneakers, and start over...ready to walk safely...and firmly.

I couldn't help but think of how that relates to our daily "walk." We never know what we are going to face as we get up each day. It is so important that we make ourselves ready for whatever may come our way. I love how Ephesians 6:15 says that we need to have our "feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace." We need to be prepared...strengthened through the Word...so that when the road gets rough and troubles come...and they will (John 16:33)...that "in [Him] [we] may have peace." We don't need to wait until we are on a slippery slope or headed toward the pit to seek Him. We need to be ready ahead of time.

As Paul said, "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power." Ephesians 6:10 He is our "Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:6 Let's seek Him. Let's cling to His Word. Let's pray without ceasing. Let's get ready!

Father, we are so thankful for all you are to us...our Father, our Prince of Peace, our help and our shield (Psalm 33:20)! Lord, make us ready to walk daily in Your strength and in Your peace. Please fill us with Your Holy Spirit and Your mighty power!

3 comments:

Erin Grey said...

:) as comfortable as slippers may be, they are not the most treadmill friendly footwear. glad you came out of that lesson relatively unscathed. i think it is also applicable to your other lesson of the day... "comfortable footwear" can make us stagnant and complacent... LOVE YOU~

Anonymous said...

So glad you did not get hurt! Loved your post especially about the daily walk we take in our lives. I believe sometimes life throws a curveball, so we do get comfortable in turning to God. He is the only security blanket one will ever need.

Dixie Phillips said...

Have I told you what a treasure you are? Your practical lessons help keep me on the Calvary Road (and yes sometimes I do wear slippers while walking on it... **grin**)

You are a jewel and I am blessed to know.

We will meet again one day... I just know it...

I've never prayed for a groundhog before, but since I met you... I'm praying for groundhogs and that the LORD would take them wherever HE wants them to help shape small souls.

Love you,
Dixie