Saturday, February 28, 2009

Heed the Warning! (edited version)

"Whoever is wise, let him heed these things and consider the great love of the LORD." Psalm 107:43 (NIV)

On the back of my heating pad it says:

DANGER
Burns will result from improper use. To reduce the risk of burns, electric shock, and fire, this product must be used in accordance with the following instructions. Do not use while sleeping. Burns may occur regardless of control setting...blah, blah, blah....This pad is not to be used by or on an invalid, a sleeping or unconscious person, or a person with poor blood circulation....blah, blah, blah...Place pad on top of and not under the part of the body needing heat...and on and on.

I've read the instructions several times over the years...but really didn't heed the warning. I have a nice blister to attest to that fact.

I have gotten into the habit of putting the heating pad in the bed before I get in to warm it up. (John even moves it around from one area to another to spread the warmth. He really spoils me! And yes, we have thought of getting an electric blanket.) One of the main reasons that I do this is that I have Raynaud's (hmmm, has something to do with poor blood circulation) and my feet (and hands) exude COLD. You know how some people radiate heat from their bodies? I radiate...or rather refridger-ate...cold! Well, the other night I was having some hip pain, so after I warmed up the foot zone, I moved the heating pad up to my hip. I laid on top of the heating pad to ease the pain...and fell asleep. Now the heating pad was on the lowest setting...but if you'll just review the instructions above, you'll note that it doesn't matter. I think I broke 3 or 4 rules!! And I suffered the consequences.

So what does this have to do with God? Well, He set forth some rules and some warnings...for our own good...and safety, for His glory, and because of His great love for us. In Deuteronomy 30:16, Moses says, "For I command you today to love the LORD your God, to walk in His ways, and to keep His commands, decrees and laws; then you will live and increase, and the LORD your God will bless you...." We are told in Deuteronomy 11 of the blessing that comes with obedience and the cursing (or consequences) of disobedience. I encourage you to read Deuteronomy 6 and 11. Here's a little snippet. Moses says, "Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts." (Deuteronomy 6:5-6) He wants us to be intentional in our thoughts of Him, to love Him above all else, to hide His Word in our hearts (Yes, that means delving into His Word and memorizing Scripture!), and to obey Him...wherever He leads, whatever He says.

The passage goes on to say, "Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." Deut. 6:7 He wants us to be diligent in sharing His plans, His love, His Word, and the importance of obedience (to Him, to parents...Eph. 6:1...and to those in authority...Heb. 13:17) with our children. No matter what their age, they need to know that they belong to God. He has a plan for their lives...which requires obedience. He created them and has gifted them in unique ways to serve Him, be blessed by Him, and be a blessing to others. We must model obedience and guide them toward their own.

Proverbs 16:20 tells us, "Whoever gives heed to instruction prospers, and blessed is he who trusts in the LORD." Let's do it!

Lord, we thank You that You have chosen us as Your "treasured possession" (Deut. 7:6b). We thank You for Your great love for us...a love that provides boundaries...and guidance. We thank You for Your mercies that are new each morning...and for Your amazing grace. Help us , Lord, as we seek to obey. Help us as we teach your commands to our children and show them the way. We want Your blessing in our lives...and in our families for generations to come!

4 comments:

Dixie Phillips said...

Awwww, my dear friend,
Do you know that I had a similar experience? Only it was my ear.... I had an earache and fell asleep with my ear on a heating pad.... I woke to a crackling and little flames and smoke shooting out of my heating pad.... It ended my relationship with heating pads forever.... :-) However, my honey did buy us an electric blanket. I worry about it every night. UGH...

Love your posts....
Thank you for your friendship,
Dixie

Gigi said...

Friend, what rich truth you are sharing! Obedience is of paramount importance. Interestingly enough, I opened my Bible to Ps. 19:7-11 so I could write it down on an index card to memorize... then I read your blog! I love when God confirms His word to my heart through the heart of another. Bless you! In Him, Gina

Dixie Phillips said...

Hey Girlfriend,
Do you know my first thought when Stubby won the animal children's book???? I thought your groundhog should win it....... :-)
Thanks for your love and support...
Dixie

Tatum said...

Thank you for the reminder that living with intentionality is important.
You would think that loving God would come naturally, it would be a joy filled expression of thankfulness, but I know when life gets challenging, I need to be intentional about acknowledging that in all things, through all things we are loved by a sovereign God.

Thank you for your post