Wednesday, September 7, 2011

I Am Weak, But He Is Strong

"I pray that out of His glorious riches He may strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith.  And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge-that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.  Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever!  Amen."  Ephesians 3:16-21 (NIV)

The words that I learned as a child echoed in my mind.

"I am weak, but He is strong."

Yes I am.  Weak. 

I knew that God was keeping His end of the bargain. I prayed for Him to help me be less hungry.  I wasn't hungry.  I wasn't even thirsty.  I had a cup of water right there in the console.

But even though I could almost hear Him encouraging me to pass it up, cheering me on, I blocked out His voice and went there anyway.

To Starbucks.   For a Java Chip Frappachino. 

(It was decaf, nonfat, and no whip.)

As I pulled out of the drive-thru, this is the chorus that played in my mind.
"I am weak, but He is strong.
Yes, Jesus loves me.
Yes, Jesus loves me.
Yes, Jesus loves me.
The Bible tells me so."

When I wanted God to reprimand me, He just said, "I love you.  We'll do better next time."

I am so weak.  In so many ways.

Weak in my faith.

Weak in my devotion...to Him and others.

Weak in my walk.

But...yes, Jesus loves me...wide and long and high and deep. 

And He "is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us." 

Immeasurably more.

Because He loves us.

Amazing.

Jesus, thank You for Your love and the promise of strength.  Help us to trust You. 

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Love it!

MyAwesomeOliveShoots said...

Such true words! I am weak, so utterly weak at times and yet a strong and loving God still cares for me, tends to me. I appreciate every word you write!