Friday, July 6, 2012

Misappropriated Time

"Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will never pass away." Matthew 24:35 (NIV)

I got sucked in. 

Fast.

Facebook and Twitter are fun and well...very social (hence the name social networking), but vicious devourers of my time. I try to keep a handle on it. Sometimes using great restraint, sometimes not so much.

And then I was introduced to Pinterest.

Oh my. Talk about a whole new world (yes, you need to chime in on the tune from Aladdin) opening up! I dove right in to photos of dreamy libraries, home decor, delectable treats of every kind...and yes, even some spiritual inspiration.

But before I knew it, I had ventured far from the shore of "just a few minutes" and into the depths of "Oh no! Where did the last hour go???" 

And today that was before my quiet time.

I managed to gain control and head toward some time in His Word.

Through Sarah Young and the Holy Spirit, I clearly felt God's reprimand for failing to "Seek Him first" (Matt. 6:33).  The devotion for today said, "The world is waiting to squeeze you into its mold and to crowd out time devoted to Me....Listen to Me above the clamor of voices trying to distract you. Ask My Spirit to control your mind, for He and I work in perfect harmony. Be still and attentive in My Presence."

I truly want to give Him the firstfruits of my day. And I need His help.

Am I saying that social media is bad? No. We just need to seek balance and beseech the Holy Spirit to control our minds and be louder than the clamor of voices trying to distract us.

Lord, help us to seek You first. To prepare our hearts and minds for the day ahead. To allow You to set the tone and the pace for the journey before us. May we hear Your whispers above the clamor that threatens our focus. Draw us to Your Holy Place.                                                        


2 comments:

Kim said...

Oh, I am thanking God you left a comment on Susan's blog, so I meet you. This post really spoke to my heart...and is inspiring me to get to bed on time, so I can have some quiet time tomorrow morning. I can't wait to read more of your posts. Have a great week!

Kristi Butler said...

Awww, thanks, Kim! I'm truly honored to meet you. Your testimony is so inspiring! Thank you for dropping by. I look forward to our friendship growing!
With prayers for great blessing.