Monday, February 4, 2013

Monday Meditation~Looks Can Be Deceiving

"For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7 (ESV)

"Look how thin you are!" she exclaimed as we saw each other for the first time in several months.

I said, "Aw, you're so sweet," but inside I was thinking, "Girl, if you only knew!"

It was surely in my favor that I wore a black dress, black leggings, and black boots...and the real deceiver, a wide black belt. Underneath lays a little muffin top that whispers the secret of my love for dark chocolate and Krispy Kremes and the fact that I'm over 50 and don't exercise as much as I should.

As I chuckled over this conversation later, my mind was drawn to a similar reality.

When we look at those with whom we come in contact, more times than not, they probably have a smile on their face. On the surface all appears to be well, but often behind that smile, lies a heart that's struggling...or broken.

We would do well to keep that in mind.

And better yet, to know that even when we don't see what's on the inside, our LORD does. And His heart overflows with love and compassion. Take a look at Psalm 139 if you need to be reminded of that today. Oh, how He loves us.

2 comments:

Hester's Heart said...

Kristi,

Your so right -- we can often mask the outside pretty good can't we - to hide the brokenness of the inside. In two days God has brought several articles and posts to me about this very thing -- Such a good reminder for me as I've been writing on this topic for a study I'm working on. Thank you sister.

Love to you, Hester

Kristi Butler said...

I'm praying for you, my sweet friend. God is so faithful to work in "themes" in our life to grow us and teach us...and to use us as we share His love with others.

You are a blessing, Hester!