Friday, March 8, 2013

Bargain Bagels Don't Satisfy!

Satisfy us in the morning with Your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.  Psalm 90:14 (NIV)

I'm not a bagel snob.                                                                 

I've enjoyed good grocery store bagels.

However, my latest purchase left me longing for Panera!

Not only did I buy less than fresh bagels, they were "bo-bo's"...you know the off brand ones.

I'll just note that the "value" wasn't "great."

Where were the yummy swirls of cinnamon and the plump, juicy raisins? Not in my bagels!

I pondered throwing them in the trash, but not wanting to be wasteful, I slathered some "bo-bo" cream cheese on top and dug my teeth in.

While I ate it, my mind rushed to the verses in Isaiah 55:1-2 that say,

Come, all you who are thirsty.
come to the waters;
and you who have no money,
come buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
without money and without cost.
Why spend money on what is not bread,
and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.

I settled for a cheap imitation. Yes, it filled my tummy, but it didn't deliver fulfillment and surely not delight.

You know, I think we do that a lot in life...look to be satisfied by that which just can't.

There is a longing inside us for satisfaction and fulfillment. It's there on purpose. Created by God, and only able to be filled by God. No cheap substitutes will do. Are you spending your money and labor on what does not satisfy? Or are you "eating" what is good and delighting in the richest of fare?

Psalm 90:14, above, encourages to meet with the One who satisfies at our breakfast table. There's no better way to start our day!

3 comments:

Susan said...

Ahh -- love it, Kristi! So glad you got it posted. Yes, sometimes a "value" isn't very "good" at all... just sayin'

And I'm embarrassed at the times I've settled for "filler" when I should have waited for Him to fill me. Grateful for grace, that's for sure!

Kristi Butler said...

"Oh to grace, how great a debtor daily I'm constrained to be."

Love you my friend!

Vonda Skelton said...

Amen, my sister! Nothing satisfies like Jesus. But I have a feeling I'm not the only one who has tried to satisfy that need with fleeting, worthless fillers.