Monday, July 15, 2013

Monday Meditation~Don't Let Go



Yesterday my pastor preached a fabulous message on hope. As he shared his second point regarding "lasting hope," he referenced the account of Jacob wrestling with the Angel of the Lord. This made an impression on me that will last!

Here's the passage:
Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him until daybreak. When the man saw that He could not defeat him, He struck Jacob's hip as they wrestled and dislocated his hip socket. Then He said to Jacob, "Let Me go, for it is daybreak."
But Jacob said, "I will not let You go unless You bless me."  Genesis 32:24-26 (HCSB)

Jacob wanted God's blessing. He was determined. He held on so tightly that the Angel of the Lord had to dislocate his hip! Still Jacob held on, saying that he would not let go until God blessed him.

Are we that tenacious? When we bring our requests to God, are we in it for the long haul? Are we willing to hold on, even when it hurts? Are we willing to wait for the blessing...of salvation of a loved one...of healing...for our marriage...for our children...for the fulfillment of our dreams?

Let's remember the words of David, who said, "Because You are my help, I sing in the shadow of Your wings. I cling to You; Your right hand upholds me."

May we hold on till He gives the blessing!

4 comments:

Ceil said...

Hi Kristi!

You know, I have always wondered about this passage. Why would God want Jacob's hip to be broken? But your reflection makes so much sense to me! Thank you!

I guess sometimes I think the Lord is busting my chops too...but there is always a blessing in it. So I'll be sure to not let go :)

Peace in Christ,
Ceil

Cathy Baker said...

Hi Kristi!

As I mentioned on Hester's site, I thought I'd already visited your blog. Susan has said so many wonderful things about you/your writing. :)

I subscribed to your blog and look forward to keeping up with you -- and what God is doing in your life. God bless!

Kristi Butler said...

Ceil, thanks so much for stopping by. That passage perplexed me as well. Our pastor had such great insight.

Praying sweet blessings for you!!

Kristi Butler said...

Thank you, Cathy!! I look forward to getting to know you better too!! Hugs and love!