Tuesday, March 3, 2009

No Bears Invited!!!

"But now, this is what the LORD says...'Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; You are mine.'" Isaiah 43:1

We heard slamming and banging outside the little mountain house where we were staying. We thought it was car doors and trunks closing as guests arrived for our daughter's wedding. We went to open the door and were shocked as we discovered guests that definitely had not been invited!!


Now, those two cubs (actually there were three) were really cute. However, their Mama was very large, very protective, very hungry and very determined to find food for herself and her cubs. The noise had come from Mama bear lifting and rolling and jumping on and clawing at the big plastic trash container in the parking area. The lid had been secured (at least for the time being) by sturdy bands fastened on each side. We banged some pots and pans together, pressed the car alarm buttons on our remotes, and scared the bears away...at least until dark. We awoke the next morning to trash covering the whole parking lot!
We are headed back to the mountains this weekend...and all of us are wondering if the bears have come out of hibernation yet! They are not invited to this family get together!!! (Of course, they weren't invited to the wedding either!)
This morning as I was thinking about the bear digging through and pulling out all that trash, something just struck me. You know, that's just what the enemy does with us. He is in relentless pursuit of our very lives. We are told in 1 Peter 5:8 to "...Be alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion (even worse than a bear) looking for someone to devour." And he will dig up all the "trash" he can in an attempt to keep us discouraged, defeated, or distracted from doing what God wants us to do and living the life He wants us to live. The enemy will resurrect thoughts of past failures or sins committed in an attempt to cripple us with shame and insecurity.
However!!! We belong to the Victor over the enemy! He has "summoned [us] by name"! We are His!!! He has forgiven us our failures and washed away our sin. "As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us." (Psalm 103:12) Listen! "...This is what the Lord says...'You are precious and honored in my sight'...'I love you'....'Do not be afraid, for I am with you.'...'You are my witnesses,' declares the LORD, 'and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know me and believe me and understand that I am He.'...'No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?'...'Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.'" (Isaiah 43)
Let's cling to the Word of Truth and refuse to even hear whispers from the father of lies. We are redeemed...summoned by name....We belong to the One who made us and forgave us. We are His!!!
Heavenly Father, wrap us in Your Truth. We pray that Your voice is the only One we hear. We thank You for Your forgiveness, Your grace, Your mercy. Your love is amazing!

1 comment:

Jean said...

Amen! I'm banging pots & pans at that old lion, the devil, right now.

Blessings, Sweet Friend,

Jean