Monday, March 9, 2009

Oh Me of Little Faith

"And He wondered at their unbelief." Mark 6:6 (NAS)

It saddens me to think of how often Jesus "wonders" or is "amazed" (Mark 6:6 NIV) at my unbelief...in big things and in small things.

I'm in the middle of one of those "small things" right now. We're in the mountains...up closer to God!! Surely we must be! His majesty and beauty surround us! We are enjoying a family getaway, with all of our children and acquired children (sons-in-laws)! In the days of anticipation of the trip, I prayed so many times for good weather...just so that we would be able to enjoy being "out and about." I wanted everyone to be able to travel safely without fear of snow or ice...even rain. I didn't pray "big," in fact very minimally. But it is so like our God "to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine"! (Eph. 3:20 NIV) We are enjoying the most spectacular weather!!! It is sunny and in the mid-70's, and has been everyday of the trip!!!

Now for the sad proof of my weak faith...I only brought one short-sleeved shirt. I had been watching the weather reports. They spoke of weather in the 70's, but I kept thinking, "That's just too good. It won't be that warm in the mountains."

I'm a list maker. So, in typical "Mommy" fashion, I sent out a packing list to my girls. I told them to plan for dressing in "layers." I told them that the weatherman was calling for warm weather, but to be prepared for less than that...sad to think, I was even sharing my lack of faith! (Now,I don't consider myself to be a pessimist...rather, a realist.) Well, our God showed me His reality!!!

Fortunately, Carrie and Evie packed enough short-sleeved shirts for everyone! Rachel wore Evie's and I've been sporting the same green shirt (Carrie's) for a couple of days! My brown shirt will carry me through till we go home. We had to make a WalMart run to get something for Melea (Yes, I packed her clothes!) and shorts for the big girls to play volleyball in. Oh well, girls always love a little something new!!

You know, it does give me a little comfort to be reminded that Jesus' very own disciples had times that their faith wasn't exactly stellar...and even in the case of weather. In Luke 8:25, after Jesus calmed the storm, He asked, "Where is your faith?" I feel that He has looked at me with that same exasperation...and I just have to join with the apostles and say, "Increase [my] faith!" (Luke 17:5 NIV)

Father, thank you for not being limited by my lack of faith and my minimalism! Thank you for the grace you bestow! And as Paul prayed for the church at Ephesus, "I pray that..Christ may dwell in [our] hearts through faith. And I pray that [we], being rooted and established in love, may have power together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge-that [we] may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God."( Eph. 3:16-19 NIV) Thank you for your great love. Thank you for your many acts of blessing...amazing weather included!

No comments: