Saturday, March 21, 2009

Wantin' to Hear From My Babies!

"May my prayer be set before you like incense; may the lifting up of my hands be like the evening sacrifice." Psalm 141:2 (NIV)

Three of our four "babies" have left the nest. Oh, how I miss having them here with me. And, oh, how I love to hear from them. I love the phone calls and the emails. I just love to talk to them! I want to hear the great things that are happening in their lives. I want to hear their struggles, too, so that I can pray for them and encourage them. Sometimes it requires tremendous self-control in refraining from calling them constantly...wanting to know all the details!!

Like this morning, I watched the clock waiting for the hour that I thought my daughter, Evie, would be awake. I knew that she had a "coffee date" last night with a really handsome, really tall, really nice young man. I just couldn't wait to hear all about it!!! I wanted details!!!!!!!!!! (I really wanted for her to be here, so that we could snuggle up in my bed and giggle like schoolgirls!)

As I "whiled away the hours," I could almost hear God whispering, "You know, I feel the same way about you." And He does! How could He help but feel that way!?! In Ephesians 1:4-5 the Word says, "For He chose us in Him before the creation of the world....In love He predestined us to be adopted as His sons [and daughters] through Jesus Christ, in accordance with His pleasure and will."

We are so blessed to have an adopted daughter! And you know what? We love her every bit as much as we love our biological children!!! That speaks volumes to me about God's feelings toward us. He adopted us! We are "co-heirs" with Christ! (Romans 8) He loves us as His own!! He loves us so much that He even let Jesus die for us!!! We are His children...His sons and daughters!! He wants us to pour out our hearts to Him...to allow Him to share in our joys and our sufferings...so that He can, in return, "lavish on us" His love...and "all wisdom and understanding." (Eph 1:8)

He wants to hear from us. He waits. I know He doesn't have a clock, but if He did, I know He'd be watching it...wondering when we're going to "call," to talk to Him. A very familiar verse, Jeremiah 29:11 says, "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." But I love the verse that comes next!!! "Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you." (Jer. 29:12) He wants to listen to us!! He wants to answer. Let's don't make Him wait in vain.

Let us "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer"!! (Romans 12:12 NIV)

Lord, so often I think we forget what prayer really is...communing with you. Help us not to get so caught up with a "formula for prayer" or with lists for intercession, but to really talk with you, our Abba Father...our Creator...the One who loves us beyond measure...Who cares about every detail...Who has the plan for our lives and all of the answers we need along the way. Thank you, Abba, for listening...and for the many ways that You speak back. We love you!

PS The "coffee date" went very nicely! :)

6 comments:

janelle said...

Great post Kristi!

I too, wait to hear from some of our older kids and next time I do, I will remember your words and spend some of that "waiting" with God.

Anonymous said...

Loved this post! Prayer is so settling and truly opens a divine relationship.
Glad the date went great!

Wendy Pope said...

Hi Sis. I LOVE the new picture. Where was it taken? I want one!
Well, did Evie ever call? Smile.
I love you and thank you for praying for me. God was amazing this weekend, as always.
Thanks for reminding me that God is waiting on me.

Jean said...

What a thrilling thought. God listens to me. God loves me. God waits eagerly for me to call to Him and listen to Him.

I am precious in His sight.

Oh, yes! Jesus loves me.

It is truly overwhelming to think on these things.

Grace & Peace,
Jean

Dixie Phillips said...

Kristi,
I'm so glad you let us know how the date went. :-)

Thanks, too, for reminding us that our Father gets lonesome for us, too.

So thankful for the SWEET HOUR OF PRAYER!

Tatum said...

To know that the God of the Universe waits for me is such a thrilling reality.

Thank you for the reminder!