Saturday, June 25, 2011

Are You Using That Gift?

"Each of you should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.  If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God.  If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ.  To Him be the glory and the power for ever and ever.  Amen."  1 Peter 4:10-11 (NIV)

"Mommy, do you ever use the book I gave you?"

That was the question my darlin' 11 year old asked me one morning as I was having my quiet time.  For Christmas she gave me a little gift book that she bought with her own money.  I'm ashamed to admit that it had gotten buried in the basket beside my comfy quiet time chair.  You better believe that I got it out and it is now a part of my morning time with the Lord.

My primary "love language" is gifts.  I understand the joy that comes from giving a gift from the heart.  I know the desire to see that present being used by the recipient...the see the pleasure it brings.  How could I have treated my precious little one's gift so carelessly?

I think about lots of gifts I've received...from my parents, my other children, my husband, my students, my friends.  Have I demonstrated thankfulness and allowed them to see me delight in it and put it to good use?

Hmmm, and what about the gifts that God has given me?  Those that He so graciously bestowed on me?  Am I using my gifts for Him...in the strength He provides...for His glory?

What about you?  How has God gifted you?  Are you stepping out in faith to use that gift for Him?  If so, don't you know that it brings Him great pleasure!  Let's vow to do just that!

Lord, thank You for loving us.  Thank You for gifting us, trusting us to bring glory to Your Name.  Strengthen us, guide us, equip us to use those gifts to honor You.  We love you!

1 comment:

MyAwesomeOliveShoots said...

You are a gift to me! I so can relate, I often want to know how someone has used my gift and am thrilled when I see someone displaying or enjoying it! What a great parallel to what the Lord wants from us! Thank you for your good word!