Monday, June 6, 2011

Fingers Behaving Badly

"When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness.  What benefit did you reap at that time from the things you are now ashamed of?  Those things result in death!  But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life."  Romans 6:20-22 (NIV)

Do your fingers ever have a mind of their own?

Apparently mine do...and it's a little embarrassing...and quite comical.

I have fake fingernails.  And I love them.  Every three weeks, I head to my favorite nail salon and get them filed off, recoated, buffed, painted, and renewed.

It's just so funny that in one of the steps of the process, I've found my dear nail artist having to battle a couple of my fingers that just want to do their own thing while he's working!  He has to hold them down and control them so that they don't mess things up.

In reality, it's probably not just our fingers that can get out of control...but our whole selves...beginning in our minds, our thoughts, our desires.  Then that gets played out with our bodies...with what we do, how we act, where we go, words we say.

We, as believers in Jesus Christ, have His Holy Spirit dwelling in us.  Our bodies are His temple.  Are we treating it as such?

Our lives are a testimony to the way we allow Him to dwell in us.  Are we living in a way that pleases and honors Him?

Oh, I must admit.  It's not just my fingers that get out of control.  And I'm so thankful that I am not a slave to sin, but to God...and His righteousness.  He holds me in His hand...and is powerful enough to control me...as long as I yield.

Lord, thank You for the provision of a new life in You!  Thank You for the pathway to holiness...and eternal life.  Help us to yield control to You, trust in the power of Your mighty hand in our lives.

No comments: