Friday, June 10, 2011

We're Guided....Do We Follow?

"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'"  Isaiah 30:21 (NIV)

I know that Emily had to be totally disgusted with me.  She kept giving me directions and I didn't follow.  I wanted to do only what was familiar...follow routes I had travelled before.  She kept saying, "Recalculating."  Emily is my Garmin, of course...providing travel instructions in a beautiful British accent.

That just got me to thinkin' how often God directs me...lays out a map...and instructs me turn by turn and yet I choose my own way...the one that is familiar, most comfortable.

Could I have gotten there quicker or easier with Emily's directions?  Perhaps.  I'll never know that.  I chose my own way.

What about God's way?  His way might be quicker...or take longer.  It could be as smooth as freshly paved highways...or as unpleasant as the bumpiest, pothole laden roads.

But we must trust that His way is perfect.

Emily may be working from satellites in space.  God is the One who created that space...and this earth...the past, the present, and He is the only One who knows the future.

I want to travel His way.

Creator God, help us to hear Your voice and follow in the way that You lead, knowing that You will never leave us wherever the road takes us.  We love You.

2 comments:

MyAwesomeOliveShoots said...

I so get this. I have often related my GPS to my spiritual walk. I have been apt to get lost in my life and I mean that in every way. When I follow my GPS, it reminds me of the Lord who has found me when I was lost and one day will bring me home safely. Good stuff, friend.

Kathy said...

Love it! I can totally hear her voice too. I remember a road trip to Ohio. We decided on a different route than the gps had calculated. In a TOTALLY sarcastic and annoyed voice, the gps said 'recalculating'. It was hilarious. I had that experience this week. We thought we were going up to Indianapolis for some IVIG, something, anything to bring his antibody level down so a match can be found...but wait..the doc wants to see him b/c he had a reaction the first time? So I wrote a nice email back and I asked for clarity - aka...how will looking at him tell you if he is going to react? There is a point here...they called back and said..no, change of plans, doc says antibody level too low for ivig..so we keep waiting. And ODDLY (they thought I would be destroyed) I felt peaceful about it. Not normal for me but would any day rather be on God's route than my own!!