Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Overflow

"For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks."  Matthew 12:34b (NIV)

I just finished reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett. 

My feelings about the book are mixed. 

The thing that strikes me is that in my mind, over the last couple of weeks, I hear my thoughts in Skeeter's or Aibileen's or Miss Hilly's voice.  They have been my daily companions. 

Don't you find that when you are hanging out with people you start to talk like them or at least think in their voice?

Some favorite "voices" in my head are those of my Scarlett O'Hara-ish friend, Emilie...or my German friend, Birgit...or my new British writer buddy, Sue.  And you've gotta love it when you are doing a Bible study and hear some Beth Moore Texas drawl in your mind.    

As Aibileen, Miss Skeeter, or Miss Hilly hijack my thoughts, I can't help but think, "Do I really want their voices there?"  Maybe, maybe not.

That's where the "overflow" comes in.

The verse that follows "For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks" says, "The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him."  (I couldn't help but hear Aibileen speaking the latter words.)

I'm just wondering what we're "storing up."

There's a lot of fiction stored up in me.  Mostly I choose Christian Chick Lit...which makes for overflow that I don't have to be ashamed of. Sometimes I read mainstream literature...some great...some I need to mark off my list.  Girls, we've got to be careful what we're reading.  It affects our overflow.

I love some reality TV...Survivor, The Sing Off, American Idol.  Hearing Scotty McCreery in my head is good.  Steven Tyler...not so much.

What I really want flowing out is the best...the goodness that comes from the ultimate Voice and His Holy Word.

I'm challenged to invest my time in storing up His truths through time in His Word, listening to music that echoes those truths, and getting quiet enough to listen for His Voice.

Jeremiah 15:16 says, "When Your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart's delight...."  I want to hunger and thirst for Him.  I want to fill up on Jesus, so that the overflow can't help but be good!

Lord, the voices around us scream for our attention.  Help us to follow the ones that lead us to You.  Fill us up with Your Truths, so that the overflow of our hearts honors and glorifies You.   

3 comments:

Susan said...

A GOOD Word, sweet friend :) I don't watch scary movies or read scary books either. I used to tell my kids, "I don't want that stuff in my head - it comes to life in the middle of the night."

And I'm right there with you on the reality shows. You know we both love us some Scotty :)

Wendy Pope said...

i love to eat His words!!! great post sis.

Kristi Butler said...

Susan & Wendy, two of my favorite people!! You girls should meet...both lovers of the Word!!

I love you both!