Saturday, September 27, 2008

A Gift of Rainbows

"If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask Him!" Matthew 7:11

Everyday...sometimes even several times a day...I admire one of my most favorite gifts given to us by my parents. It is the large decorative window that is over the garden tub in our bathroom. My Mama and Daddy went with John and me when we had the overwhelming opportunity to choose everything for our home...appliances, paint colors, carpet, light fixtures, and so on. They have such great taste and a knack for decorating (which I don't have...How did I miss that?). Oh my word, they were so helpful! We'd probably still be sitting there to this day making decisions if it hadn't been for them! We really did a good job staying on the conservative side as we made pretty, yet cost-conscience decisions. Then we came to that bathroom window. We opted to go with the most basic, yet attractive one, but on display was a bevelled glass beauty. I tried to keep my eyes off of it, determined to save money. But my sweet Mama and Daddy saw the glimmer in my eye. They liked it too. They said, "We'd like to get it for you." I doubt they had any idea that it would be one of those "gifts that keep on giving."

Most of the window is opaque, preventing anyone from seeing in. But then there is the ornate design near the top. Through the flat, clear glass I can see whether the sky is blue or grey. I can occasionally catch a glimpse of the moon. I can see minute pieces of bolts of lightening during a summer storm. Then there are the places where the glass has been cut. Through those prisms, the sun frequently casts tiny rainbows, splattered all around the room. They make me smile. And they always make me think of my parents, the givers of the gift. I'm so blessed.

My parents have given me so many gifts over the years. Wonderful gifts. Thoughtful gifts. Gifts that often required hours of labor to produce. Our family has a heritage of giving. My grandparents were givers of much! The gift goes on.

One day as I was admiring the window and thanking God for the gift He gave me in my parents, He breathed that verse in Matthew over me. Mmmmmm, to think that He desires to give me even more than they do boggles my mind! And another amazing thing is that in Luke 11:13 that reiterates Jesus' words says, "If you then...know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" Now that's a gift that is one that keeps on giving! Another gift of rainbows...a lasting covenant to us.

"Behold what manner of love the Father has given unto us...that we should be called Sons of God!"

Lord, you are the giver of every good and perfect gift!! You have given and continue to give beyond our wildest dreams! Thank you for your unfailing, unending love for us! Thank you that we are Yours...heirs of Your kingdom!

3 comments:

Jeannie said...

Oh my....how sweet!!!!
I can just see the twinkle in their eyes.

Oh, and I'll be over next weekend for a sleepover....and a bath. : )

I love you!

Jean said...

"For God so loved that He gave..."

Thank you, Lord. Praise Your Holy Name for bestowing on us immeasurable, unimaginable gifts of beauty.

Bless Kristi and her family, Lord.

Amen

Jean

Wendy Pope said...

Now that is a precious story. I am sure your sweet parents had much delight in giving you that gift! They are so dear!

I love you sis! Keep looking for those rainbows.